QUESTION: When does your child NEED to wear a MOUTH GUARD?
ANSWER: Any time he/she participates in a sports related activity!
As orthodontists, Dr. Tahbaz and Dr. Rezapour of Luv Braces in Austin realize the importance of wearing mouth guards during any type of sports related activities, but do you know just how important it really is? If not, check out these facts and statistics:
- According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry’s Policy on Prevention of Sports-related Orofacial injuries, sports accidents reportedly account for 10 to 39% of all dental injuries in children.
- It is reported that sports account for approximately 36% of all unintentional injuries to children and adolescents. Of those injuries, 10-20% of all sports related injuries are maxillofacial injuries according to the American Dental Association.
- The National Youth Sports Safety Foundation reports that athletes who don’t wear mouth guards are 60 times more likely to damage teeth.
- Repairing dental trauma resulting from sports related injuries is uncomfortable for the patient and can cost thousands of dollars. Many injuries can be far less severe or even prevented altogether by the simple act of wearing a mouth guard!
- Mouth guards are significantly less expensive than the cost to repair an injury, and dental specialists, such as orthodontists can make customized mouth guards that hold teeth in place and allow for normal speech and breathing.
In addition to just spreading the word about the importance of wearing mouth guards, Luv Braces is being proactive by offering local student athletes free mouth guards when they visit the office for a consult and then a free custom mouth guard when treatment is started.